Courtesy of Roxanne C., Philadelphia PA
What do farmers do in a pandemic? What they always do – adapt. Those who sell at farmers markets have set up contactless delivery. Here’s what’s involved:
1) a posting on your website/facebook page that it is available
2) emailing forms to customers who request it
3) establishing a deadline by which orders must be received
4) setting up credit card payments and requiring pre-payment
5) pre-packing orders
6) manning pickup at your stand at the farmers market during regular market hours
Necessity is the mother of invention, and pre-orders and pickup might become a new and improved way of doing business for some. The CSA model has been moving in this direction for years, so there are already many online tools that support easy ordering and fulfillment. We’ve posted templates for service and order forms in the SPIN member’s area that can be turned into electronic order forms to get those who are new to virtual business.
Tech is frequently pitted against farming, but in times like this it can keep food moving and cash flowing when markets scale back or shut down.
CONNECT WITH SPIN FARMERS WHO ARE GOING OUT AND DOING WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE, EVEN IN THE MIDDLE OF A PANDEMIC, IN THE SPIN ONLINE SUPPORT GROUP. FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP WITH THE PURCHASE OF ANY SPIN GUIDE.